The University of Georgia we know today got underway in 1801 in the humblest of circumstances in a log cabin on the edge of the wilderness. The town of Athens grew up around it. In admiration for Benjamin Franklin, the leading man of intellect in the infant United States, the institution came to be known as the Franklin College. It remained so until 1859 when the College of Law was added to begin the enlargement of the University that now has grown to comprise thirteen Schools and Colleges, and a number of Institutes, Centers, Museums, Laboratories and Programs as befits a major research university in the first years of the twenty-first century. Our Franklin College of Arts and Sciences thus served as the root from which not only the rest of the University, but the entire University System of Georgia sprang. It is still the largest and most complex College in the State.
Free Joomla! template by L.THEME